Monday, October 24, 2011

Wandering through the wilderness dependent on God to lead them, the nation of Israel was on the move. In Deuteronomy 32: 11 the image of an eagle is used as a poetic image of how the people were dependent on God to care for them as they moved into the future. The people did always appreciate God for taking them out of the oppressive life in which they lived, often complaining they would rather be back to the old life, at least they were familiar with that lifestyle. I notice that as I stretch myself to grow closer to God and to the purposes of God, I often resist, I am too tired, too overwhelmed, too scared to try to change. In these moments I wonder if it is all worth it, maybe I was stuck in my life, but at least I was familiar with my routine. Ah the temptation to stay in a rut is overpowering my vision to change and grow. How about you? Do you find it hard to change, to be transformed by the complete dependence on God? I am going to stay awake to the temptations this week of staying stuck, of settling, of making excuses. Dear God, I dedicate this week to growing closer to you and to follow your call to transform the world. I pray for the strength to overcome the obstacles, and to refuse to give into the temptations of the world that distract me from your life. Amen

No comments: