Sunday, July 22, 2007

What a weekend!

Hey everyone! Since my last post, I have been a bit busy. We finished helping my sister prepare for the wedding on Thursday and Friday, although we had quite a lot of rain, on Thursday, we managed to get her yard in shape for the reception that followed the baptism but I am getting ahead of myself. Anyhow, the rehersal went well, we met in the Liberty Church in Springfield. For those who might not know, my home church, Chicopee Falls UMC was yoked with Liberty UMC in my years growing up. However, in the last few years the two churches merged and formed the New Hope UMC but still shared a pastor with another church. It was decided to sell the Liberty property first because there was already a church who wanted to buy it, and have the new church meet in the Chicopee Falls church with the eventual goal of finding a property that was half way between the two properties. However last fall, a critical support beam exploded due to the weight of shake shingles that had been added in 1912 to the roof and was too heavy for the church. So the buidling was condemned. The cost of demolishing the building was high due to some toxic materials that needed to be removed. So the Baptist church across the street offered in exchange for demolishing the building, to be given the site for a badly needed parking lot for their church. So this winter a contractor salvage materials like the pews and boards, beams and even those heavy shingles and of course the Revere Bell, were removed. The New Hope church took certain items with them to incorporate to the new church buidling when it is built, however for now they are worshipping in the chapel of the Liberty Street Church, and will meet there even after that buildings sale is finalized, until they have time to plan for the future church. The Baptist church was gracious enough to allow them this space even though the New Hope Church had left it to worship at Chicopee. Anyhow, we were able to use the sanctuary for the wedding on Saturday. So the rehersal went well and then the wedding day arrived. The weather was mild and so those in Tux's and robes did not melt. We had perfect weather for outdoor photo's and then went to the Portugese -American Center in downtown Chicopee! We partied (should I mention we had great food, I of course had Scrod, broiled just right, and I got to sit at table number one! Usually us pastors are stuck in the back with the photographer! Anyhow, my Aunt Ann, my Mom and Dad, and my sister the proud mom, were at our table, and I talked for a long time with them, but my nieces wanted to dance so I did a little of that with them, and some with older family members as well. We went back to the hotel tired but with joy in our hearts. My neice and nephew spent the night with us, so we all could get up at 7:30 est to get ready for church and the baptism of the son of the newlyweds. Lucas Wesley (middle name is the same as my Dad's in his honor) was baptized and I gave the message, without slides but it went well anyhow. Afterwards off to my sisters and the baptism party which was great, the weather was perfect and we sat outside under the big Maple in the back yard and ate and talked and ate some more and talked some more finally packing it in about 8pm and checked in the hotel we are now in. Oh, and just for fun we stayed up on Friday night to purchase our Harry Potter books at the Barnes and Noble here in town. Amber was glad to get her book at the stroke of Midnight EST which is three hours ahead of any of her friends on the west coast, not that she would gloat or anything. At this post, Susy has finished the book, Amber is 50 pages away from finishing and I started today and have logged 200 pages. Tommorow is our last full day here, it is time for more lobster before flying home tuesday! Hope you are all well, thanks for your comments! Steve


Jim Brewster said...

Hey Steve,
Your weekend sounds great -- My kind of time. We had a good one too- finished VBS, had a gret time Sunday using the same slides in church - and congratulating Dena and all the teachers. Then last night we went to see Smokey Joe's Cafe -- Looking forward to talking to you when you get home.

Arlene Brewster said...

Well it all sounds great - As Jim said church went well, in fact Nancy brought 2 friends who said they would be coming back, and Jim had 14 for the morning Bible study. We are finalizing the Jubilee Grant and it will be delivered to the district office soon. And then to add to our excitement today we had some of that water come from the sky. Glad you told us what it was called - rain. Have fun.

rockinghorsenab said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a really great weekend! It was nice of the weather to cooperate for both special days. VBS was fun and the kids seemed to have a good time. They painted paper "hot air balloons", made little people for the gondola, plus science projects. The pictures are great so you can enjoy it when you get back. I woke up this am thinking I had left the sprinkler on, but then I realized it was that water called rain coming out of the sky! Continue to stay safe, say hi to everyone!