Thursday, August 25, 2011

Failure

As I get older, I realize that life is full of failures, times when no matter our best effort, our best thinking, our best preparation, when everything goes wrong. In fact, I think why my daughter can do things on the computer that I cannot is because she is not afraid to fail, to click the wrong link etc. I want to make sure and don't explore as much because of the fear of failure. So, now I am changing my thinking and feeling as though it is okay to fail, as long as I do not run away from the failure. I have learned to learn from failures and although this does not always keep me from making more failures!
Also, failure is not always individual, when it comes to our kids, there is universal failure, to the docs who are not sure what to do, to the lack of research, to the lack of therapy, to the failure of understanding, and as a society we do not like risk taking. As parents of exceptional children, we call out for all of these folks to risk, to try new things, to try new therapies, and it is okay if they fail, as long as they keep inventing, creating, who knows what will lead to success? We may not even see the success now, but those who follow may learn from all we have succeeded and failed at.

No comments: