Monday, January 19, 2009

A new President takes office

I am expecting to stay home tomorrow to watch the new President get sworn in. I will get up early and see it live. I am amazed that I have that much passion for this event, but on the other hand I can't help to celebrate this historic event, one I will remember for a long time to come. On this Martin Luther King Jr holiday, I imagine that Pastor Martin is smiling up in heaven. As someone who has been taught about the struggle for blacks in this country to obtain the civil rights that were afforded to those who were white and in power, I celebrate this elections victory over those forces that have kept us separate, unequal. I celebrate our ability to vote for the candidate who captured our imagination, who has a vision for the future, who is our first black President. I know we still have work to do. The forces that divide us will not disappear. We need to continue to learn how to overcome hate and prejudice, fear and turmoil. But for today, I celebrate this new day, and pray for our country with a glad heart.

No comments: