Monday, February 22, 2010

From Fear to Forgiveness: Waiting

1The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27 starts with these words and then concludes with: Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
To let go of the fear I harbor in my heart and mind means allowing God to be the stronghold, the one I trust to give me courage. This I understand, but to wait? Bridges from fear to forgiveness have to be built! I need to work really hard to make this possible don't I? What do you mean I have to wait?
I wonder if it has anything to do with what they say on the Olympics broadcast concerning the skiers or the bobsledders or the skaters. They have trained very hard, they are in great shape, but if they over train, or if they do not relax then they force the performance, and due to their tension lose precious seconds that means the difference between a medal or not.
Of course we do not get gold or silver or bronze rewards as Christians, but I wonder if I am so busy, so focused on working hard, that I miss the presence of the God of my salvation? Maybe I do everything but take the time to wait, to listen, to feel how the Spirit is guiding me?
God has already built the bridge to forgiveness, God invites us to make the crossing, to allow the Spirit not fear to guide us over all the obstacles along the way.

No comments: